Anyone can tell you a million things about what it means to go to medical school and pursue a career as a physician. But only you can decide if it is right for you. By using the tools in this video and gaining exposure, you will have a better idea if medicine is right for you.
It is crucial you understand the pros and cons of pursuing a career in medicine prior to committing to medical school. In this video I go over the ways to determine if a career as a doctor/physician is right for you.
I go over:
1. The path to becoming a doctor in the United States (medical school, residency, fellowship)
2. The financial repercussions of choosing a career in medicine
3. Deal breakers, including going into medicine for the money, hating school or learning, and not liking people
4. Qualities you SHOULD have, such as wanting to help people, being a leader of the healthcare team, desiring an intellectually challenging career, whether or not you like procedures, and the importance of hard work, discipline, and work ethic over intelligence.
5. The importance of shadowing and gaining exposure prior to medical school.